Saturday, March 14, 2020

March 20 for 2020 Goals Check-In Part Two


Welcome back to installment 2 of March’s 20 for 2020 update. In my last post I reviewed the first 10 goals of our 20 for 2020. Here’s how we are doing on the last 10…

     11. Open, and use, a Health Savings Account for The Husband’s braces.

Pass: This is done! The Husband’s company loads all the money at once, even though it is only taken from his paycheck each pay period. The braces are paid for in full (we got a 5% discount for paying all at once) and The Husband loaded a little extra money to pay for doctor’s appointments throughout the year!

12. Increase my 403b contributions by $100 sometime during the year.
No progress here: Still no action on this goal.  Hopefully sometime in the next 10 months.

13. Increase The Husband’s 401k contributions by 3% by the end of the year.
No progress here: Hoping to accomplish this through a raise… The Husband’s review is usually around March so we should know by the end of this month if this will be easily feasible or not. He generally receives a 3+% raise that we designate to retirement.

14. Have one billing period where I don’t charge ANYTHING (except autopays) on my credit card.
Fail: Charged way more than I even wanted to last month and already have several charges on the statement for March.

15. Have a successful “No-Spend” September.
No progress here: It’s not September…

16.  I want to drink the loose-leaf tea I already have and not buy anymore until I am only down to 3 flavors.
Pass: This one is funny, I know; but I have so much loose tea that I feel like I need to focus on drinking what I have before I buy more. I haven’t bought loose-leaf tea in a whole month! For me, that is nearly unheard of! (Mind you, I still have probably 25+ flavors!) I’m also calling it a pass because I have finished 2 more flavors of loose tea since I wrote (and updated) this goal!

       17. Add all our “subscriptions” to our monthly budget.
Pass: All done! Going forward, all our “subscriptions” or monthly recurring charges are an item line on our monthly budget sheet.

18. Don’t spend any money, out of pocket, on supplies for my classroom. (This does not include lessons I might choose to purchase.)
On-track-ish: This one is really difficult. I purchased a video converting program, but still no actual supplies.

19. Keep current (monthly) with what I owe The Kids.
Fail: I still owe them for old hours and haven’t paid them. This is just sheer laziness! I need to do the math and gather the money. Must do better here! I have literally done nothing on this front since my last update! My goal is to be all caught up and current by my next update in April!
      20.  Check in on my financial goals monthly.
Pass: Same as last month: so far so good. It’s so easy to be vigilant at the beginning of the year. The real test will be if we are checking in on our goals next October!

Overall, I’d give myself a B. I am “passing” on 11 of 20 goals, (which is an improvement over last month’s update), on track with 3 more, “failing” with only 3 of our goals, and “on hold” or “not yet started” another 3. I’m feeling pretty good about our start. We still have a long way to go but are making pretty good progress.

Overall my successes are in mostly the same categories and so are my failures… Must do better. Must put in more effort!

I can’t stress enough the fact that if we are successful with these goals, we will definitely be creating a firmer financial foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment